University of Benin History
University of Benin (UNIBEN) is one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria. It was founded in 1970.
At first, the university began as an Institute of Technology. On July 1, 1971, the institute was accorded the status of a full-fledged university by the National Universities Commission (NUC) of Nigeria.
The accordance was done by the governor in power then (Military Governor of Mid-Western State, Col. S. O. Ogbemudia), during his April 1972 Budget Speech. He had formerly made the announcement about changing the name of the institution from the Institute of Technology to the University of Benin.
In 1975, 1st of April to be precise, the university was taken by the Federal Government – on request by the State Government. It became a Federal University of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Since then, UNIBEN has been growing, having a big number of Faculties, Departments, Institutes, and Units.
University of Benin Teaching Hospital
University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) is an important and multi-specialty healthcare service provider in Nigeria, and West Africa.
UBTH is located in Ugbowo, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. The healthcare center was established on May 12, 1973 after the enactment of an edict of the Nigeria National Health Act.
University of Benin Address
University of Benin is a research university. The institution is located in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
Address: P.M.B 1155, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
University of Benin Logo
University of Benin Postgraduate School
Read below about the requirements for UNIBEN Postgraduate school and how you can apply.
All candidates are to purchase the application forms for their Postgraduate programs online. A valid Verve or MasterCard ATM bank card can be used for form purchasing. The sum of N21,000 is needed for the form.
Ensure that you fill the PGD form correctly. Provide all required information before you submit it online (https://www.uniben.edu). When you are done, print out the form. Also, make sure you print out the referee form. So, you will be printing out two forms: the application form and the referee form.
Acceptance Fee and Payment
Applicants offered provisional admission for their Postgraduate programmes are to proceed to Acceptance fees (non-refundable). Acceptance fees is N60,000 – which must be paid before a candidate can be cleared.
Postgraduate Entrance Exam of UNIBEN
For you to secure admission into most of the Postgraduate progammes offered at UNIBEN are conducted through entrance examination, while some programmes don’t require entrance examination but on the basis of requirements approved by the Senate.
UNIBEN Postgraduate Programs
Below are some of the PGD offered in UNIBEN:
- Faculty Of Agriculture
- Faculty Of Arts
- Faculty Of Education
- Faculty Of Engineering
- Institute Of Education
- Institute Of Public Administration & Extension Services
Faculty Of Law; Faculty Of Life Sciences; Faculty Of Management Sciences; College Of Medical Sciences; Faculty Of Pharmacy; Faculty Of Physical Sciences; School Of Basic Medical Sciences; Faculty Of Social Sciences; Centre Of Excellence In Geosciences & Petroleum Engineering; University of Benin/ African Economic Research Consortium Corroborative Ph.D Programme In Economics; Centre For Gender Studies.
UNIBEN PG School Admission Requirements
Below are the general admission requirements for the Postgraduate progammes in UNIBEN:
- Minimum of five credits In WAEC, NECO and GCE, or their equivalents. Credit passes are needed in English language and Mathematics.
- At least 4 credits in Ordinary Level, and OND (not pass), IJMB, NCE or Advance Level passes or their equivalents.
- Candidates with a pass, Degree/Diploma, are not qualified for admission. Also, holders of 3rd Class Degree must have have PGD to secure admission into the Masters programmes.
- If you want to apply for the Ph.D, you must have a minimum weighted average score of 60% in the Masters Degree.
- If you are applying for the Ph.D with a Masters Degree from another university and your Masters study doesn’t include compulsory courses similar to the ones in UNIBEN, you will need to offer them when you secure admission, and you must pass the course(s) with at least a 60% score.
University of Benin Cut Off Mark
As at the time writing this, UNIBEN’s cut off make is 200. Candidates must make the University of Benin their first choice before sitting for the UTME.
Another thing candidates need to pay attention to is that in order to secure admission into UNIBEN, they must have at least 5 Credit passes at one sitting in the relevant O’Level subjects – must include English language and Mathematics.
University of Benin School Fees
Below is the breakdown of UNIBEN school fees.
School Fees For Fresh Students
These are students that are just secure admission into the University. School fees may slightly differ depending on the course a student registered for.
The total amount for fresh Science students is N73,400. For non-science fresh students, it is N69,900.
School Fees For Returnig Students
These varies depending on the Faculty and Level.
- Examination Fees – Science students pay N7,000. Non-science students pay N5,000.
- Labouratory Fees – Cost is N3,000 for science students. It is N1,000 for non-science students.
- Librart / MTN Lib. Fee – Science students pay N2,000. Non-science students pay N2,000.
- Sport Fee – N1,000 for all students.
- Utility Fees: It’s N7,000 for science students. Non-science students are also charged N7,000.
- And other fees.
Total amount to be paid for science students is N45,500. For non-science students, total amount is N41,500.
University of Benin Notable Alumni
UNIBEN is one of the best universities in Nigeria. It has an impressive long list of notable alumni. Few of them are listed below:
- Tom Ilube. He is an educational philanthropist and businessman.
- Oladipo Agboluaje. This man is a fantastic playwright, based in Britain. He studied theatre arts in the University of Benin.
- Emmanuel Agwoje. He is the CEO of Equator Capital Ltd. Mr. Emmanuel has sixteen years working experience at Allstates Trust Bank Plc. He also led a restructuring program in Prudent Bank Plc.
- Iyom Josephine Anenih. She is a great lawyer, and has been the Minister of Women Affairs since 2010. Josephine studied law at the University of Benin.
- Richard Mofe-Damijo. He is popularly called RMD, an amazing Nollywood actor. RMD has also been into politics in the past. The UNIBEN alumnus is a former Commissioner for Culture and Tourism in Delta state.
University of Benin Admission
UNIBAN often post details about admission on its website for candidates to view.
- Here is how to check the admission list of UNIBEN:
- Visit the admission portal of UNIBEN here: https://uniben.waeup.org.
- Input your Username and Password in the required fields.
- Now click on Login and proceed to view your admission status.
- John Aina Ajibola has a Masters degree as an engineer and has over 3 years of teaching and research experience. He is happiest when on a bike and is also interested in electric energy and computer Science.