The Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).
The Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency which is popularly known as NIMASA is a government agency that is burdened with regulations of all things happening in the Nigerian sea and waterways . They implement and control all activities whether local or foreign exchange. The government agency is under and regulated by the Federal Ministry of Transport.
NIMASA was established in August 2006 by the association of the National Maritime Authority (NMA) and Joint Maritime Labor Industrial Council. Since its established, the top regulatory agency has been supervising the implementation of domesticated International Maritime Organization (IMO), implementation of the International Labor Organization (ILO) Conventions, Promotion of Commercial Shipping and Sabotage activities, Pollution Prevention and Control in the marine environment, Maritime Safety Seafarers Standards and Security, Maritime Labor and authorizing Shipping Regulation.
Functions of Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
The following are some functions performed by NIMASA;
- They guarantee the improvement of shipping and administrative issue relating with sailors and merchant shipping.
- Management and regulation of shipping licenses and Seafarers certification.
- Organization of Maritime Training and organizing Safety Standards for new NIMASA officials
- Ensuring safety shipping during the development of boats and navigation.
- Give Maritime Search and Rescue Services when required
- Provide guidance and authorize rules and guidelines with vessels for safety efforts
- Direct Coastal and Air Surveillance
- Prevention of Maritime Pollution
- Formulation and execution of projects, policies, and procedures for the development of neighborhood limit in possession, oversight, and development of boats and other related amenities
- Direct all Port and Flag State-related duties.
- Provision of greatest Security on water an area.
NIMASA Salary Structure: How Much They Pay Their Workers
NIMASA is one of the top government offices with fair pay. They pay their staff based on Consolidated Research and Allied Institutes (CONRAISS) Salary Scale. This implies NIMASA’s salary structure depends on grade level and year of experience in the civil service.
The following is the rundown of NIMSA salary structures with the different degree of staff income.
- Entry Level Salary – NIMASA pays an average of N100, 000 to ₦150,000 each month which goes between N1.2 million to N1.8 million in a year.
- Grade Level 7 – NINASA grade 7 level staff are paid an average salary of #90, 000 in a month which sum up to over 1,000,000 naira in a year.
- Grade Level 8 – NIMASA pays its grade level, 8 staff, up to ₦103,988 month to month summing up to about ₦1,247,854 in a year.
To know more about how Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency pay their staffs, click this
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, is focused on the enthronement of worldwide accepted procedures in the provision of maritime services in Nigeria.
NIMASA’s main focus is on effective Maritime Safety Administration, Maritime Labor Regulation, Marine Pollution Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue, Sabotage requirement, Shipping Development and Ship Registration, Training and Certification of Seafarers, and Maritime Capacity Development. Using modern tools that ensure productivity and viability, we are resolved to create indigenous capacity and eliminate all hindrance.
Departments in NIMASA
The Agency is structured into 3 (three) Directorates. Each directorate is under the authority an Executive Director. Each Directorate has at least two Departments, headed by a Director. So, there are 8 (eight) Departments reporting to the EDs and 9 (nine) Departments/Units answering to the Director-General/CEO.
Owning to the operational idea of the Agency’s functions, it additionally operates a Zonal structure to work with effective coordination of its activities in the four (4) maritime zones of the country (Nigeria).
The zones and their individual central command are:
- Western Zone – Lagos
- Central Zone – Warri
- Eastern Zone – Port Harcourt
- Northern Zone – Abuja
NIMASA Head Office
The head office in Lagos and its principal operation in Apapa (Lagos), Warri, Sapele, Port Harcourt, Onne, Bonny, Yenagoa, Eket, Calabar, Abuja and Lokoja.
NIMASA Recruitment And Requirement For 2020/2021
To be qualified for the 2021/2022 Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency recruitment, you need to have the following:
- West African Examination School Certificate (WASSCE) or National Examination Council Certificate with in any event 5 credits in relevant subjects including English and Mathematics. (At least two sittings).
- Bachelor’s Degree/Higher National Diploma (HND) or Ordinary National Diploma (OND) Degree
- Knowledge in computer application which will serve as an additional benefit.
To check for more necessary informations, click this.
How To Apply For NIMASA Recruitment 2020/2021
The following are steps to follow to apply for NIMASA job:
- Visit NIMASA login portal at https://nimasa.gov.ng/
- Follow the instructions on the NIMASA official site.
- Fill your application form and submit it.
- John Aina Ajibola has a Masters degree as an engineer and has over 3 years of teaching and research experience. He is happiest when on a bike and is also interested in electric energy and computer Science.