TETFUND known as the Tertiary Education Trust Fund is a federal government agency under the Federal Ministry of Education that is responsible for managing infrastructure and research funding for public tertiary institutions.
The tertiary education fund came as a result of the frequent confrontation between the then Military government and the Academic Staffs Union of Universities. The Military government succumbed to constant pressures and strikes by ASUU as a result of the decay of infrastructure and neglect of public institutions of learning.
The tertiary education trust fund is saddled with the responsibility of monitoring education tax collections by the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), and ensuring that funds collected are disbursed to public institutions.
Since its inception, the tertiary education trust fund has disbursed more than 500 billion Naira in funding research and infrastructure in public institutions. The basic functions of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund are:
- Essential physical infrastructure for teaching and learning;
- Institutional material and equipment;
- Research and publications;
- Academic staff training and development, and;
- Any other need which, in the opinion of the Board of Trustees, is critical and essential for the improvement and maintenance of standards in the higher educational institutions.
TETFUND as an agency under the Federal ministry of education uses the harmonized salary scale of the Federal Civil Service Commission. TETFUND uses the Treasury-funded Establishments on Special Salary Structures. The salary at the Tertiary education Fund varies, as grade level, academic qualifications, years in service determine actual take home.
According, to the Salaries, Income, and Wages Commission, the harmonized salary for the Tertiary Education fund is as follows;
- Grade Level 7 (Step 1-15) – N53,000 to N87,000
- Grade level 8 (Step 1-15) – N63,000 to N97,000
- Grade level 9 (Step 1-15) – N77,000 to N114,000
- Grade level 10 (Step 1-15) – N83,000 to N123,000
- Grade level 12 (Step 1-11) – N88,000 to N127,000
- Grade level 13 (Step 1-11) – N114,000 to N138,000
- Grade level 14 (Step 1-9) – N125,000 to N175,000
- Grade level 15 (Step 1-9) – N163,000 to N217,000
- Grade level 16 (Step 1-9) – N228,000 to N275,000
- Grade level 17 (Step 1-9) – N397,000 to N597,000
Apart from their basic salary, staffs of the agency are entitled to various allowances offered to civil servants by the Federal Government through the Federal Civil Service Commission. Staffs of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund enjoy allowances such as;
Health Insurance: Which is controlled by the National Health Insurance Scheme. Each staff of the TETFUND and his/her family are entitled to free medical services in all NHIS approved health centers across the nation.
Housing allowance: The National Housing Fund was established to provide cheap and affordable housing to civil servants.
Transport Allowance: All staffs of the agency are entitled to a transport allowance which is payable into their various bank accounts. Senior staffs of the agency are also given official cars in most cases.
TETFUND MANAGEMENT STAFF
1. PROF ELIAS SULEIMAN BOGORO
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY TERTIARY EDUCATION TRUST FUND
2. Dr. (MRS) GLORIA E. OLOTU
DIRECTOR, FINANCE AND INVESTMENTS
3. ARC. UCHENDU I.M WOGU
DIRECTOR, EXECUTIVE SECRETARY’S OFFICE
4. SALIHU GIREI BAKARI
DIRECTOR, RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT/ CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE
5. BUHARI MIKAILU
DIRECTOR, PHYSICAL INFRASTRUCTURE
6. ARC. ERIVWO E. INENE
DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT
7. BARR. ADAMU ABUBAKAR
DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES & GENERAL ADMINSTRATION
8. ARC. BABATUNDE OLAJIDE
DIRECTOR, MONITORING AND EVALUATION
9. ENGR. MUSTAPHA GOTALA
DIRECTOR, EDUCATION SUPPORT SERVICES
DIRECTOR, INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
11. ABDULMUMIN B. ONIYANGI
DIRECTOR, PUBLIC AFFAIRS
12. IMAM, ABDULLAHI BABA
DIRECTOR ACADEMIC STAFF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Executive Secretary’s Office
- Academic Staff Training & Development
- Strategic Planning & Development
- Education Support Services
- Human Resource & General Administration
- Finance & Investment
- Information & Communication Technology
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Physical Infrastructure
- Public Affairs
- Research & Development Center of Excellence