The attainment of success is significantly influenced by education. Our future is shaped by the information we acquire in schools, universities, and other educational institutions. Schools and universities educate students in order to help them become better citizens and people, as well as to provide them all the direction and education they could possibly need to land a good career with a respectable salary.
Education broadens our perspectives and ways of thinking while also assisting in the development of jobs. Education had a significant role in determining how people lived centuries ago, but not everyone had access to a good education. Students respected their professors and adhered to all of the regulations since they considered them as a source of information. Today’s educational institutions appear to be more focused on making money than providing quality education.
Education is the intentional, methodical, and ongoing process of imparting, provoking, or acquiring information, values, attitudes, abilities, or senses, as well as any learning that comes as a result of the endeavor.
Education is a mental attitude. It is a mode of thought. On a personal level, it’s always morphing and evolving.
Contrary to popular misconception, education is not a collection of certificates. It’s also not a list of initials placed either before or after a person’s name.
Why education is so important in Nigeria
How Important Education Is a person’s education is a crucial aspect of their life. It is essential to future success and a wealth of options in our lives. For humans, education offers various benefits.
For instance, it enlightens a person’s thoughts and mind. It aids students in making plans for employment or further study after completing their undergraduate studies. Education in a subject area enables people to think, feel, and act in a way that supports their success and raises both their level of personal happiness and that of their community.
Education also fosters the development of a person’s personality, way of thinking, interpersonal skills, and readiness for life’s events. It elevates people to a higher social rank both within their own culture and around the world. Everyone has a right to educate “from cradle to death,” in my opinion.
The advantages of education range from having a successful profession to having a high social position to having self-assurance. First and foremost, education increases our chances of having a successful profession. There are many opportunities for us to work at whatever place we want. In other words, there may be more and simpler chances for better jobs.
Our chances are higher the more educated we are. Additionally, education sharpens our minds, supports our ideas, and bolsters our morality and interpersonal actions. It provides us with knowledge on a variety of subjects in general and our area of expertise in particular, especially what we must learn for our professional careers.
So, without education, we might not be able to live healthily or have a respectable job. Additionally, knowledge elevates our social prestige. We are regarded as a vital source of knowledge for our society since we are educated.
Education enables us to educate others in our society values, etiquette, and ethics. People see us differently and more favorably because of how industrious and resourceful we are because of this. Additionally, education transforms us into role models in society when our people look to us for direction or when they need to make a decision.
Features of high-quality education
1. It creates the framework for fairness in society. By ending the cycle of poverty, addressing inequality, and attaining gender equality, this is made feasible.
2. It is essential to achieving the objectives of typical global development.
3. It equips the students to make their greatest contributions to the growth of the self and the community. Regardless of a learner’s color, ethnicity, gender, geography, or financial situation, it focuses on their social, mental, physical, emotional, cognitive, and economic development.
4. A person can pursue improved employment prospects, advance toward sustainable livelihoods, and lead a healthy lifestyle with great education. The best education encourages creative thinking.
5. The mass of educated people may live with the tenacity of the communities and join a tranquil democratic society.
6. It makes it possible for people, communities, and society as a whole to prosper.
Some Constraints to quality Education in Nigerian
Scholars have identified a number of issues that work against high-quality education in Nigeria, such as:
1. Insufficient funds
2. Insufficiently qualified instructors
3. Inadequacies in infrastructure
4. Bad educational policies
5. Constant blows
6. Examinee misconduct
7. Weak reading habits
8. Moral decline in society, etc.
Ways of improving the standards of Education in Nigeria
1. Making sure students are enrolled and attending school might be the first step in the process.
2. When nations give the idea of “learning for everyone,” significant advancement is conceivable. This development is merely the start of a global movement in which every student in every nation will receive instruction from qualified instructors who are supported by materials and curricula that are well thought out regarding the fundamental life skills and techniques for sustainable development.
3. The policymakers should provide tough and specific measures to assist address the severe education challenges in emerging nations. The execution of these policies requires the cooperation of all stakeholders in the education system, including the government, educators, parents, and even students.
4. The execution of these policies requires the cooperation of all stakeholders in the education system, including the government, educators, parents, and even students.
Additionally, the effectiveness of those policies must be timely evaluated and monitored.
5. The roles to accelerate and monitor progress must be reviewed as well as the stringent introduction of the educational framework for action.
6. Persistence and educational improvements are both urgently needed.
7. The significance of providing all people with equal, high-quality education may be instilled with the help of a well-designed set of pledges and aims combined with successful education programs.
Importance of quality Education in Nigeria
1.Build People of Better Character
Education also helps in building the character of a person. The tutors/instructors make attempts to give their students a moral outlook.
2. Education advances societal welfare
The promotion of a nation’s national interest is another benefit of education. An unusual level of critical intelligence characterizes the highly educated culture. They can draw their own judgments from the information provided.
People with higher education have the insight and expertise to contribute to the improvement of the nation. They collaborate to preserve the interests of the country and come from all different backgrounds.
3. Enhance Moral and ethical standards.
Education encourages opportunity equality. Any privilege that is only based on advantage is assured to be more ethical since it does not justify any privileges that are not deserved, does not advocate an ethical framework that fosters social snobbery or a sense of superiority, and does not shield anything that is unfair or unethical.
Regardless of the societal structure, education must not only effectively spread knowledge but also encourage critical thinking.
4. Essential for national growth
A crucial source of cohesion, support, and stability in a nation’s growth is education. Because a strong educational system is essential for the long-term growth of the economy and society, developing nations should be forced to acknowledge the significance of education and concentrate on creating high-quality educational systems.
Education and economic stability are strongly intertwined. Education may influence a nation’s future economic growth since it increases a person’s capacity to become an inventor, scientist, writer, doctor, or engineer.
5. An uptick in literacy
A nation’s literacy rate is also influenced by its educational system. The capacity to read and write is referred to as literacy. Not just for children, but also for adults, literacy is crucial. The growth of the nation will be greater the higher the literacy rate.
6. Newness of thought
A highly regarded educational system promotes original thinking. The goal of education is to bring out the best in students. It need to be able to introduce fresh notions and ideas. The educational system should adapt creatively to the most recent technological advancements and should equally benefit all learners or pupils.
Additionally, it ought to instill in them moral principles that will help them advance human welfare rather than self-glorification. No one is bright by birth, but education may help a person become cultured and useful to civilization.
7. Education fosters innovation
The creativity of students is also enhanced by education or educational activities. Students have the chance to develop their talents and become more professionals via education. Students’ ingenuity gives them the chance to pursue their objectives.
8. Education creates responsible citizens
The civilized and well-organized people came through education. People with education integrate excellent ideas and eventually strive for improvement in their lives. In order to experience the enchantment, one must step beyond of their comfort zone.
9. Make a living
A person can obtain a living by getting an education. It is true that employment is not only based on academic success. It is based on how well a nation’s economy is doing. A well-educated individual can find a solid career with a good salary to support themselves.
10. Beneficial for research and innovation
Research projects value education. Only because of the high degree of knowledge is research being done in other areas of life. There is specialized education and university-based research in every area of life.
- John Aina Ajibola has a Masters degree as an engineer and has over 3 years of teaching and research experience. He is happiest when on a bike and is also interested in electric energy and computer Science.