The unavailability of factual salary data of most government institutions has promoted a lot of false narratives about salaries and allowances in the Nigerian public service sector.
This post intends to provide accurate and reliable information regarding the salary scale and structure at the National Inland Waterways Authority.
About the National Inland Waterways Authority
The National Inland Waterways Authority which is formerly known as the Inland Waterways Department is an agency under the Federal Ministry of Transportation. The agency is empowered by CAP 47, Laws of the Federation, 2004 (Decree No.13 of 1997) to carry out improvement measures on Nigerian inland waterways.
This decree (No.13 of 1997) further provides the National Inland Waterways Authority exclusive authority on all matters that relate to the management and control of inland waterways in Nigeria.
The National Inland Waterways Authority was established to;
- Improve Nigeria’s inland waterways.
- Provide an alternative means of transportation for persons, and goods.
- Execute the objectives of the national policy on waterways.
National Inland Waterways Authority Salary Structure
The National Inland Waterways Authority operates the Consolidated Revenue Generating Agencies Salary Scale (CRGASS). This salary scale is a specialized salary scale used by revenue-generating agencies.
Based on this scale, a Bachelor’s degree graduate will be placed on grade level 08/01 and will earn an average salary of about 95,000 Naira per month. Below is the harmonized salary scale for the National Inland Waterways Authority
- Grade level 8 (Step 1-5) – N92,000 to N98,000
- Grade level 9 (Step 1-8) – N102,000 to N114,000
- Grade level 10 (Step 1-9) – N151,000 to N173,000
- Grade level 12 (Step 1-8) – N181,700 to N227,000
- Grade level 13 (Step 1-8) – N254,000 to N278,000
- Grade level 14 (Step 1-7) – N295,000 to N325,000
- Grade level 15 (Step 1-3) – N334,000 to N337,000
- Grade level 16 (Step 1-6) – N368,000 to N475,000
- Grade level 17 (Step 1-4) – N593,000 to N692,000
National Inland Waterways Authority Allowances
Apart from their basic salary, workers of the agency earn basic allowances such as travel allowances, in form of estacode which is paid in dollars for foreign travels. Workers are also enrolled into the National Health Insurance with lifetime coverage.
National Inland Waterways Authority Recruitment
Recruitment into the National Inland Waterways Authority requires a fulfillment of certain requirements. Despite the present embargo on all recruitment exercises into ministries and parastatals by the Federal Government, some ministries still carry out replacement exercises.
Basic Requirements For Recruitment
To get recruited into the National Inland Waterways Authority, you must satisfy the following basic requirements.
- A Bachelors Degree, or a Diploma in a related field
- Possession of NYSC discharge certificate
- Possession of a valid means of identity i.e. Voters Card, or National Identity Card.
- Other requirements deemed fit by the agency.
How to apply
To apply for employment into the National Inland Waterways Authority you must apply online through the official website of the agency accessible at www.niwa.gov.ng/careers.
Recruitments into the National Inland Waterways Authority are announced via online mediums and national dailies as required by law. It is also good to have an insider who can notify you whenever there is a career opportunity in the agency.
Note: It should be noted that at the time of writing, the National Inland Waterways Authority
National Inland Waterways Authority Head Office
The head office of the agency is located:
Adankolo New Layout, PMB 1004, Lokoja, Kogi State.
Contact: [email protected]
MD/CEO – Dr. George Moghalu
Heads of Department
- GM Project Management & Special Duties – Engr. Fidelis Ejike
- GM Area Offices Co-ordination – Engr. Fibersima Tamunokubie
- Acting GM HR and Administration – Abdullahi Aliyu Dabai
- Acting GM Research, Planning & Environmrnt – Muazu Dan’ Azumi
- Acting GM Survey – Surv. Henry Adimoha
- Acting GM Procurement – Ibrahim Isyaku Sade
- GM Legal – Ibrahim Danladi
- GM Marine – Joseph Ororo
- GM Ports Services – Agbahi Fidelis
- GM Engineering – Asindi Iloba Christopher
- GM Finance and Accounts – Yusuf Girei
- GM Business Development – Adetola Olawale James
- Acting GM Internal Audit – Maisaje Japhet
- Acting GM Corporate Affairs- Jibril Darda’u