Before the announcement made by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board that sales of forms for the 2020 UTME will commence by January 13th 2020,
I have received a series of emails, text, and Whatsapp messages from prospective students asking me on how to register for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination 2020.
In this section of the article, I will be sharing with you step by step guidelines you can use in registering for the UTME 2020 Examination,
JAMB Profile Creation
- The first step is the JAMB profile creation. The candidate would require a phone number that would be used for the registration, creation of profile code, and receiving of relevant information from the board. The profile code is usually 10 characters, and it’s unique for each prospective student.
- You can create their profile code by sending a message via SMS using this format SURNAME, FIRST NAME, OTHER NAMES to 55019. The unique profile code will be sent to the same number a few minutes later. The phone number must have airtime above N50 to able to perform this service.
Purchase of e-pin
- You would have to purchase the JAMB e-pin form any of the authorized outlets by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board after successfully creating their profile code. The e-pin can be obtained from any of the following: Selected Banks, NIPOST offices nationwide, Mobile money operators, Remita, Quickteller, USSD partners, and designated embassies for foreign candidates. The price of the e-pin is between N3,500 to N4,000. The e-pin will be sent to the same number used in creating the profile code.
Registration at Accredited CBT centres
- the candidate would have to take the e-pin to accredited CBT centres to continue the process of their registration.
- You will have to present at the CBT centre because their biometrics will be captured and uploaded on the UTME portal. Also, O’level results will be uploaded on the portal. In contrast, prospective students with awaiting results will have to provide their result when they are available for upload on the UTME portal.
- On successful completion of registration, the candidates will be provided with an e-slip. This e-slip will serve as evidence of registration.
How to check my UTME result
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board have uploaded the result for the UTME result on their e-Facility portal. Candidates can now check their 2019, 2020 and beyond UTME results using this following steps;
- Login to the JAMB e-Facility by clicking here
- Provide your registration number in the space provided
- Finally, click the ‘‘CHECK MY RESULT’’ icon
- Your result will be displayed on the screen for you to print.
With this few steps, you can quickly check your UTME result.
When is UTME registration
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has announced that the UTME registration for 2020 exercise is set to start on the January 13th, 2020 and expected to close on February 17th, 2020. Also, the examination will begin from the 14th March until the 4th of April 2020.
The general public can now start making a purchase for the form through any of the accredited dealers.
What is the full meaning of UTME?
The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination is the regulatory examination organized by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board for candidates that wish to gain admission into any of the tertiary institutions in the country. The aim of the examination is to test the prospective students on the following; ability to solve problems, critical thinking, ability to apply scientific knowledge and principles that pertain to the various subjects written in the UTME.
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination is a computer-based examination, however, before the year 2014, it was written as a paper and pencil test, the change to a computer-based test (CBT) was effected on the 17th May 2014. The registration for UTME occurs once in a year (from January to February) in the process of registration prospective students are allowed to choose three subjects with the English Language (which is compulsory) that makes up the subject combination for their desired course of study.
How to download the UTME brochure and UTME app
Most JAMB candidates have sent me various messages on how to download the JAMB brochure. Well, I have good news for you. Recently, the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board released a download link for the Brochure for the 2020/21 UTME.
With the Brochure, candidates will be giving on the subject’s combination that will be required for their desired course of study. It’s available for download for both UTME & Direct Entry candidates.
You can download the PDF version of the 2020 UTME brochure by clicking here
Also, Candidates can download the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board mobile application from Google play store for free.
Does JAMB UTME have a portal?
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has an online portal where candidates can use for registration, uploading of O’level results, check their admission status and also, get the latest information about the board.
The portal can be accessed using this link below:
When is UTME and DE registration for 2020 starting?
The registration of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination for all prospective candidates (also, for foreign candidates) is expected to commence from the 13th January 2020. The registration form will be open for sales till the 17th February 2020.
The form for direct entry candidates will also be available for sale from the dates listed above.
How to check my UTME admission status
Successful candidates can check their admission status on the JAMB portal using their JAMB profile. However, candidates that registered from 2016 downwards would have to create a JAMB profile. You can check your admission status using the outlined steps:
- Click on the JAMB e-facility portal here
- Secondly, you will need to provide your username and password to login on your JAMB profile
- Thirdly, navigate through the e-facility portal and click on the ‘‘Check Admission Status’’ icon.
- Choose your appropriate exam year and enter your registration number in the required columns.
- Lastly, Click on the ‘‘Check Admission Status’’ to confirm your admission status.
When is UTME admission list coming out?
There is no stipulated date for the release of the UTME admission list. However, Candidates can check the UTME admission list on the JAMB portal. You will be required to provide your email and correct password to be able to download the admission list.
Here is the link to the portal: https://www.jamb.org.ng/efacility./
How to check and print my UTME admission letter
Candidates must first check their admission status before thinking of checking or printing their UTME admission letter. If you have confirmed your admission status, you will have to make a payment of N1000 via the board website to be able to access your admission letter and print afterwards.
Next, I will be listing short steps on how to print your UTME admission letter
Step 1. Click on the UTME portal here
Step 2. Login to the portal by providing the required details (i.e. email and password)
Step 3. Click on the feature tagged ‘’ Admission Letter’’ on the portal
Step 4. After your admission letter is displayed, you can now proceed to print it.
List of UTME approved centres in Nigeria.
We have already created a list that contains all of these centres in another post. Kindly visit the cbt blog post and go to the last paragraph. All the centres are right there.
When is UTME closing date?
The 2020 UTME closing date for registration will be on the17th February 2020. I actively advise candidates to finish their registration before the stipulated deadline for registration because the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board have said the deadline for the UTME registration will not be extended after the date as mentioned earlier.
UTME subject combination
During the registration for UTME 2020, candidates would be required to choose 3 more three subjects with Use of English (Use of English is compulsory for all candidates). Every course has its unique subject combination for candidates to write in the UTME. Below is a list of courses and their subject combinations for the tertiary institution in the country.
UTME combination for computer science
Use of English, Physics, Mathematics and one of Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Geography and Economics.
UTME combination for political science
Use of English, History or Government plus two other Social Science/Arts subjects.
UTME combination of mass communication
Use of English, Economics Literature in English and Government or CRK/IRK.
UTME combination for business administration
Use of English, Economics, Mathematics and any other Social Science subject.
UTME combination for public administration
Use of English, Economics, Government and any other subject